We have already reported that Painkiller: Hell and Damnation was being ported to Linux few months ago. The game developed by Nordic Games is an HD remake of the successful first-person shooter Painkiller from 2004.
Now, the closed Linux beta of the game has been announced for all of them who own it on Steam:
Dear Painkiller Linux fans,
We just set the Beta to our Linux version live.
Please mind these known issues and note that these issues are temporary and being worked upon!:
* Open-source GPU drivers (Gallium rx00, radeonsi, Intel) may not work.
Those drivers may lack support for the necessary OpenGL extensions. For the
best experience we recommend the latest proprietary, vendor-supported GPU
* Loading times may be slow because of shader compilations.
Not much can be done about this because of the way the Unreal Engine 3
handles shaders. :(
* Loading screen movies have no sound.
* Game controllers have no force feedback.
* No multiplayer compatibility with Windows.
* Multiplayer host might crash when a client is trying to join.
This is a bug in the Steam Client fixed in the beta - if it happens, opt in
for the beta: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/1/864957817...
You have to own Painkiller Hell & Damnation to get access to the Linux Beta version.
Your Nordic Games Team